Monday, March 4, 2013

NOLA wedding weekend!

I have returned from the Dirty South, and let me tell you something. This was a fantastic trip. This was by far the coolest wedding I have ever been to (come on- a second line parade of the wedding following a brass band down the streets of New Orleans?!) and not to mention, Jen was the most beautiful bride ever!


And it's actually great that I tend to document places I go through food and beverage, seeing as I literally ate and drank my way through the city of New Orleans. And with that, I want to share these wonderful things with all of my faithful readers. 

Thursday:
Mother’s restaurant | We came into town and after pulling an all nighter, me and tt were in desperate need of nourishment. What we came upon, was a good old fashioned Louisiana breakfast, complete with grits and a homemade biscuit with raspberry preserves. I went with a build your own egg white omelet, while tt went with one of the house specials. We found our first glimpse at Nawlins to be a very interesting place, but the food was really satisfying. 

Cue: nap.

Bacchanal | Buy a bottle of wine, in this little shack of a store and then head outside for some amazing food and a really cool and different ambiance. We met up with everyone who was in town Thursday night at this really awesome (and hidden gem of a) spot. To eat, we totally stole some of the table's house marinated olives (castelvetrano, bella cerignola, arbequinas, citrus, herbs), and then I started with the bacon wrapped dates (with chorizo, pequillo peppers, and roasted tomatoes) and I ordered the short ribs (with polenta, horseradish, kale, cream, and tempranillo wine-oh how I love a good polenta). I shared seared scallops (with mushroom, sweet corn, and chorizo), and this amazing Thai green curry (with shrimp, coconut milk, jasmine rice, mirliton, cilantro). Not to mention, I drank a bottle of Pinot Blanc all before 9:00 pm and got quite silly.

     
Then came Bourbon Street. No more food, just lots more drinks. 


Cue: Hangover.

Friday:
Acme Oyster House | When I finally was able to leave the hotel after Vomitfest 2013, we made our way out for lunch. Poor tt had to wait practically all day. I had to have a po'boy in my life, and so we landed at Acme, upon recommendation from a friend. I figure, what better way to cure a hangover than to drink more, so I ordered a “Voodoo Mary” (Grey Goose, Merlot, Zing Zang BM mix, Tabasco and Worcestershire). TT and I shared the soup of the day which was a hearty corn and crab bisque, and I ordered a half of a fried shrimp po’boy and hush puppies as my side. Ummm, yea. 


  
K Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen | For dinner on Friday night, we first met up with my RWU peeps at the Green Bar at the Westin hotel and had a few TABs, and then headed to K Paul's for dinner. Quite the restaurant. The menu was amazing, and while I wanted to try the rabbit entree, I chose to play it safe and had veal (I can't find the entree on the online menu but it was pan fried veal with pasta dressed in Louisiana red sauce that had shrimp and scallops in it- aka heaven), I tried some of the jumbalaya (YUM) and the table shared Custard Marie (Crème Brûlée - with a Praline Bottom) and the dessert special that was a double chocolate bread pudding. Holy Mackerel. Plus, our waitress was hilarious. 

Saturday:
Café du Monde | Had had HAD to get there for their world famous beignets and cafe au lait and hot chocolate and chocolate milk. (and yes, they are actually famous for all of these things, but particularly the beignets of course). The three of us left with full bellies, and covered in powdered sugar. 


Did some touristy shopping, went to a flea market, ordered some bloodies, and it was almost lunchtime. 


Central Grocery | Mind you, I had no idea what a Muffuletta was, I just knew that I had to get one. And if I was going to get one, it was going to be from this place - tt found online that this sandwich is rated in the top sandwiches in the USA. Central Grocery's claim to fame is indeed this sandwich (a pile of Salami, Mortadella, Ham, Mozzarella, and Provolone on a round Italian loaf that is covered in sesame seeds. On top of the meat is a garlicky, chunky, delicious Olive Salad made with crushed olives, pickled veggies like carrots and cauliflower, a ton of olive oil and spices). We did take them to go, and save it for a little later. I am 100% positive that I am going to figure out how the heck to make this and make it every time I have a hankering for a good sammie. 


Cue: another Bloody Mary...

Evangeline | walking down the street, we were stopped dead in our tracks by a sign outside this bar: Bacon Bloody. Hello... heaven. (bacon infused vodka, Zing Zang BM mix, and spices, topped with bacon, pickled Cajun green beans, olives, and okra.) It really doesn't taste like bacon- it just gives the drink this salty and smoky flavor. This was hands down the best bloody I have ever had in my life, and, I need to get my hands on this bacon infused vodka. 

Cheers from cm and tt ~ Laissez les bon temps rouler!! 


Recipe of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment