Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Green Monstah

I have this problem. When I'm home alone, I eat. Well, er, I cook, then I eat. And I usually eat a little bit of everything. I decided to break out some of my favorites this week, as well as trying a few new recipes. I'm cooking up a storm and it's only Tuesday!

Last night, I made turkey chili. That was it, because I had an hour long training call for lia sophia. I didn't even eat any of it, though. I ate one leftover parmesan tomato, and had hummus and pita bread. (why I didn't enjoy the chili, I have no idea... it's one of my faves!)

See, this is what I mean.. I just eat random things when I'm alone, even though I cook delicious food.

Tonight, let's see. I made Italian veggie soup, and the plan was to eat that for dinner (since I made the chili for lunches)... That was the plan. However, who sticks to a plan anyways?! I had leftover escarole from the soup, so I threw it in another pan and made escarole and beans, of which I ate a forkful.

Then a light bulb went off. Green Monster Smoothie. Yes, that's right, I made (and drank) my very first Green Smoothie. And by drank, I actually mean CHUGGED. I was reading one of my favorite foodie blogs, Iowa Girl Eats and came across her post about this smoothie, in which she states:

          Green Monster Spinach Smoothies are one of my top secret diet weapons, because although they’re
              packed with baby spinach, which make my skin, hair, nails, and overall self feel totally great, they do
              not taste healthy at all. I repeat, they do not taste healthy at all.
 
No way. I thought to myself. There is no way a smoothie packed with spinach would actually taste good. But, it really, and truly did. Bananas add a sweetness (although mine weren't 100% frozen yet); I used Teddy's Natural Peanut Butter (yum); and I used 1% milk, which once it's gone I will ultimately buy skim. When you blend it all together, it becomes so silky smooth. One taste and I was hooked. I seriously will have one of these every single day for breakfast. I can't imagine that spinach is a bad thing to have daily. And I have greek yogurt every day anyways... ohhh yes.

It's a little sad how excited this made me.
It's the little things in life, really.

Recipe of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment